Thursday, June 2, 2011

2010-2011

About seven hours ago, I arrived home after spending four days in New York City with two of my best friends and a set of my pseudo-parents. I love the city. I love cities. Which is partially why the impending move to Boston is excellent.

I was in New York because Rachel, one of my best friends since I was six, was being recognized for superiority in digital artwork. Her photography and Flickr account are amazing. She was a part of the Scholastic awards ceremony in Carnegie Hall. I got to see one of my sisters recognized at Carnegie Hall. Do you have any idea how amazing that is?

It has been an incredible year. For all of us. We complain all the time about our little town and how there's nothing to do and how we can't stand 3/4 of the people and can't wait to get out, but so many of us have had so many wonderful opportunities, especially within this past year. There are a lot of opportunities that were bestowed upon us simply because we're seniors. For instance, I got to serve as the Co-Editor-in-Chief of my high school newspaper. We won an All-Ohio, which is the closest high school journalism is ever going to get to winning a championship. I was a debutante. I complained about it a lot, but it's an experience I wouldn't trade. I got to sing at our Senior Spectacular. It was a privilege because I never really got the chance to perform on that stage, outside of choir concerts. I unthinkably shocked a lot of people to pieces.

I've gotten to celebrate with my friends over being selected Teens of the Month, being cast in lead roles in school productions, and achieving multiple academic feats. I've interviewed the mayor, started to learn to play the ukulele, and built relationships with people I didn't know, or didn't know I could love. I could not be more proud of the things we've accomplished this year.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that this is just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment